Re: [STDS-802-11] EPD for OCB in the 5.9 GHz band, or for ICB in any band

Hello,

This discussion seems to have gone quiet, and I'm wondering whether it's

just that it's going on in a place I'm not aware of.

I think that many/most people would agree that if we could save 6 octets

per MSDU by switching from LPD to EPD, that would in principle be desirable.

The concerns are about backward-compatibility (on the assumption a 5G9

device might have to roam to or otherwise support other bands in some

situations).

It seems to me that we can use EPD with backward-compatibility as long as

we take some precautions:

- Have an extended capabilities bit to say "I understand EPD".  Do not

use EPD to STAs which don't say they understand it (this means all the

STAs, in the case of group-addressed transmissions by an AP; note that

there would be the complexity that an AP receiving an EPD frame from a

STA which is to be broadcast back would have to convert it to LPD if any

STAs didn't understand EPD)

- Signal the use of EPD through some mechanism, e.g. use of the remaining

unused Data frame subtype (1101), or if PCF/HCCA needs to be supported,

a triplet or quartet of Extension frame subtypes (depending on whether

the non-+CF subtype remains as a Data frame for simplicity with devices

which don't care about PCF/HCCA).  A similar technique can be used for

the "PV1" frames with a compressed MAC header introduced by 11ah (there are

enough reserved Types)

[I am assuming no-one cares about non-QoS STAs enough anymore to worry

about supporting EPD with them.]

There are other possibilities, such as these, but they seem more hacky to me:

- Special-case the Ethertypes AA-AA (and maybe also E0-E0 and FF-FF per

Tables P-2 and P-3 in P802.11 REVmc/D4.0), saying that if the MSDU starts

with this it's actually LPD, but otherwise it's EPD (this means that in

the worst case, if Ethertypes AA-AA, E0-E0 and FF-FF had to be supported,

they would have to be used with LPD)

- Have prior agreement on use of EPD, e.g. specified in a relevant standard

(such as DSRC/ITS/11p or 11ah; but as described above there were concerns

about this approach), or dynamically signalled, e.g. via the Extended

Capabilities element in Management frames exchanged before any Data frames

(such as in (Re)Association Request/Response frames in an infrastructure BSS)

- Find some other MAC header bit to signal use of EPD

Any thoughts?  Think of all those octet sextuples we could save!

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk