[STDS-802-11] P802.11 (Revision mc) is in sponsor ballot

Dear 802.11 members,

P802.11 (Revision mc),  also known as P802.11REVmc is now in initial sponsor ballot.

This email contains some observations on process and information to help those that

might be new to sponsor balloting.

Those that signed up to the ballot group will have received a notification from the MyBallot

system informing them of the ballot.   This is the first difference from WG ballot,  I do not

announce sponsor ballots (or send reminders) on the WG reflector.  If you signed up but

did not receive the notification,  please check your IEEE-SA web account email settings

and your junk email folder.

The resolution of comments is delegated to TGmc, acting as a sponsor Ballot Resolution Committee (BRC):

·         For convenience, we will continue to use the term “TGmc” to represent this BRC

·         Any voting member of 802.11 can vote at TGmc meetings

·         TGmc can consider motions (e.g. comment resolution,  other changes to the draft, to recirculate) in any of its meetings – including telecons

·         TGmc will meet during 802.11 F2F meetings

Ultimately the WG is required to approve any request to the executive committee to move the

project to the standards board for approval.

The WG ballot was extended because substantial changes were being made for a number of reasons,  including

rolling in of approved amendments.

I expect that the Sponsor ballot should not be as extended.

This is a cue to those in the ballot group to get all their substantive comments in one the first ballot.

I anticipate that the group will want to stabilize the draft as quickly as possible,  which means that

comments that should have been made in the initial circulation,  but were not,  might be rejected

for reasons of scope in subsequent recirculations.   I therefore encourage those in the ballot group

to generate comments on existing material in this initial ballot.

In future initial recirculation ballots,  the IEEE-SA will have made available a “public review” mechanism that allows

those not in the ballot group to submit comments.   This process has not been put in place yet.

Therefore, I will accept comments from non-voters,  which will be entered into MyBallot as “rogue” comments.

If anybody intends to submit such comments,   please contact me first to determine what formats

are acceptable.

Yours sincerely,

Adrian P STEPHENS (Dr)

Chair, IEEE 802.11 Working Group

Senior Principal Engineer,  Intel Corporation

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47