Re: [STDS-802-11] Letter related to 802.11ah patents

Adrian,

I have a few questions, but first, a few statements of observation:

The observations:

I note in the database that the only LoA from CSR on file is from 2009 and refers to 802.11.

In the LoA database, there are other letters which refer specifically to 802.11ah.

The PAR for TGah was approved on 2010-10-04, which is after the filing date of the CSR LoA (March 3, 2009).

The questions:

1.    Can an LoA filed on a specific date provide a legal assurance for subsequent developments within 802.11? For example, the CSR LoA was filed on March 3, 2009 and the 802.11ah PAR was not approved until October 4, 2010. Note that the LoA does not explicitly mention anything about future developments.

2.    Is an LoA for 802.11 to be interpreted to cover all amendments of 802.11? I note that there are many LoAs which cover “802.11” and many others which cover specific amendments. Would an LoA that covers 802.11 only cover whatever happens to be defined as 802.11 at the time of the submittal of the LoA?

3.    Is there any difference between having an LoA on file that uses the old LoA template vs the newer LoA template? In more blunt terms, is the back-adoption of the CSR LoA effectively a way to submit an LoA for 802.11 that does not adhere to the new LoA language?

4.    To extend the concept of item 3 even farther, shouldn’t all existing LoAs be resubmitted with the new language?

Matthew Fischer