[STDS-802-11] Update of proposed LS to ETSI BAN under discussion in PDED ad hoc

G’day all

Yesterday in the IEEE 802.11 PDED ad hoc we discussed a proposed LS to ETSI BRAN in relation to what was called the “802.11 exception” in EN 301 893. One goal of the proposed LS is to express IEEE 802.11 WG’s interest in enabling 802.11 to keep using the PD/ED mechanism at current thresholds. The second goal was to highlight IEEE 802.11 WG’s interest in this topic.

It was noted during discussion that we do not want special treatment for 802.11, and indeed all we want is the ability to keep using the PD/ED sharing mechanism that has served 802.11 so well over is entire history. It was also pointed out that the use of the term “802.11 exception” is political poison.

After the meeting, I received a number of suggestions for alternatives to the term “802.11 exception”. Thank you for those that sent suggestions. The current version of the proposed draft now uses the term “dual threshold option” for the PD/ED mechanism. The inclusion of this term also provided an opportunity to refine the text to make it clear that this option should also be made available to other technologies too, such as LAA and MulteFire. This is consistent with previous LS’s from IEEE 802 to 3GPP RAN1 in which we asked them to adopt the PD/ED mechanism for LAA.

It was also noted during yesterday’s meeting that the proposed LS risked confusing the efforts related to the transition from the old version of EN 301 893 to the new version. Personally, I believe this is an orthogonal issue. However, in the interests of mitigating any possible risks, I would suggest that the LS only be sent to ETSI BRAN just before the meeting in July 2017 at which they are scheduled to discuss the Work Item on the next version of EN 301 893.

Please review the  latest version of the proposed LS. It is available at 11-17-0634-02. It will be discussed as the first item of the agenda at the extra PDED ad hoc session in PM1 in room 207.

Andrew Myles

http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/logo05.jpg

Andrew Myles
Manager, Enterprise Standards