Re: [STDS-802-11] Updated (early) draft of response to WBA lisison on MAC address randomization

Mark,

I have added some comments to Thomas’ and generally agree with his points as well.  What seems clear to me is that there is an assumed direct correlation between a “device” and a “MAC SAP” which is what a MAC address indentifies. A device may have many MAC SAPs using a variety of communication interfaces (CIs); e.g. smart phones which have multiple 802.11 interfaces along with 802.15 interfaces, etc..  This significantly complicates the issues of anonymization via randomization of the MAC layer address of any one of the CIs in the “device”.  The point is, randomization of a MAC address anonymizes a CI, not a device unless that is the only CI on the device which is rarely the case nowadays.

Point is:  randomization of layer-2 addresses for the purposes of anonymization is a system/device issue, not a single CI issue.  That said, I am not sure how to raise this issue to the appropriate level and will leave it to you all to make that call!:^)))

Cheers,

RR