[STDS-802-11] P802.11ax “accelerated process” and Comment Resolution Committee (CRC), P802.11ay and P802.11REVmd CRCs

All,

At the recent November plenary meeting, the IEEE 802 EC approved proceeding to Standards Association (SA) ballot for P802.11ax (conditional), P802.11ay and P802.11REVmd.

Having received EC conditional approval to proceed to SA ballot, the "accelerated process" as defined in the 802.11 Operations Manual (copied below, see section 3.9.4 in https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-0629-22-0000-802-11-operations-manual.docx ) now applies.  The TGax Comment Resolution Committee* (CRC) is a committee of the whole of 802.11 voters, chaired by Osama Aboul-Magd. I delegate the responsibility of resolving remaining P802.11ax WG Letter ballot and Standards Association (SA) Ballot comments to this CRC.

The TGay CRC is a committee of the whole of 802.11 voters, chaired by Edward Au. I delegate the responsibility of resolving P802.11ay SA ballot comments to this CRC.

The TGmd CRC is a committee of the whole of 802.11 voters, chaired by myself. I delegate the responsibility of resolving P802.11REVmd SA ballot comments to this CRC.

In practice, operation of the TGs is exactly the same as for WG ballot resolution, except that comment resolutions and recirculation ballots do not need WG approval.
Proceeding to RevCom does need WG (and EC) approval.

Please let me know of any questions.

Thanks,

Dorothy

==============================

* I am using the term CRC here, noting that other names are in use for the group to which the responsibility of SA ballot comment resolution is delegated:

https://standards.ieee.org/content/dam/ieee-standards/standards/web/governance/revcom/guidelines.pdf : Comment Resolution Group

https://standards.ieee.org/develop/balloting-standard/balloting.html  : Ballot Review Group

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-0629-22-0000-802-11-operations-manual.docx : Comment Resolution Committee

Prior use: Ballot Resolution Committee

<snip>

3.9.4     Accelerated process for completion of WG Letter Ballot

Towards the end of WG letter ballot, an accelerated process is defined to permit rapid ballot/resolution cycles.

Once a project has been given conditional approval to proceed to sponsor ballot by the 802 EC (see section 12 in [rules4]), the following process applies:

1.      The WG chair delegates resolution of any comments received in subsequent WG letter ballots on the project’s draft to a comment resolution committee (CRC). [1]

a.      The project’s TG chair is also chair of this CRC.

b.      The CRC is subject to IEEE-SA anti-trust and patent policies.

c.      The CRC will publish minutes of its meetings as 802.11 submissions.

d.      The CRC meets together (either in person, or in teleconferences,  subject to the LMSC WG P&P rules about notification of such meetings) in order to resolve comments.

e.      The CRC may vote to approve comment resolutions (75% approval required).

f.        Any 802.11 voting member may vote at any CRC meeting.

g.      Only voting members of 802.11 may vote in the CRC.

2.      Once comment resolution is complete (as determined by the CRC chair) and any modified draft is available, the WG chair will start any necessary WG recirculation ballots.

[1] The WG chair can announce this delegation at the meeting at which the request for conditional approval is approved by the 802.11 WG:  “Once the request for conditional approval to proceed to sponsor ballot is granted to 802.11<x>, it is operating under the Accelerated process described in our OM.  I delegate the responsibility of resolving comments to a CRC chaired by <name>, conditional on the EC granting this approval.”

<snip>