[STDS-802-11] Report on 802 Technical Plenary

All,

As one of the designees from 802.11 to the 802 Technical Plenary, held on Dec 2, I would like to provide the following notes to anyone interested:

The agenda can be found here: https://1.ieee802.org/2021-12-technical-plenary-agenda/, and is as follows:

1. Meeting introduction and other administrative items.

Glenn Parsons

10

Meeting Introduction
(please review in advance)

Meeting Introduction Slides

Attendance

Log Attendance using IMAT here

Approval of agenda

2. IEEE Std 802 revision

60

History of Std 802

802-seaman-history-1121

Mick Seaman

15

Questions about the IEEE 802 Architecture

DCN: 1-21-74

Roger Marks

15

Is a CSD needed?

Glenn Parsons

Roger Marks

15

Development of revision PAR & optionally a CSD

802-parsons-planning-1221

Glenn Parsons

Roger Marks

15

3. 802.1 and 802.15 compatibility

DCN: 15-21-633

Clint Powell

Ben Rolfe

40

4. Next meeting

technical plenary slides

Glenn Parsons

10

Thursday, Jan 13th

Thursday, Mar 10th

5. Any other Business

The following presentations were reviewed, and my high-level notes are associated:

802-seaman-history-1121-v01.pdf

      • History of IEEE Std 802 (including published versions and amendments from 1990, (1995), 2001, 802a, 802b, 2014, 802c)

1-21-0074-01-ICne-questions-about-the-ieee-802-architecture.pdf

      • Questions/topics raised by the author (Roger Marks) included (not a complete list):
        • Is there an LSAP definition?
        • Is the defined function of LLC?
        • Do LLC peers share control information?
        • What are the supported MSAP frame format(s)?
        • Multiplexing options?
        • EPD/LPD?
        • VLANs?
        • Architecture and 802.1X, 802.1AE, 802.1AX, 802.1CB, etc.?
        • Tags and shims?
        • Network management and control?
        • Is LLC a “real subnetwork” in IETF thinking?

802-parsons-planning-1221-v01.pdf

      • What is the scope of IEEE Std 802 (and this project), and how do we proceed?  Relationship of 802 and 802.1Q (for example)?  Do we need a roll-up and “clean up” of 802, or a re-write?  Must we add a conformance clause?
      • We need to complete in 3 years, because 802-2014 will expire in 2024 (no re-affirmation, anymore).
      • The leaning seemed to be to do two projects (one quick, one full-blown)?  There was discussion to perhaps split the document, also.

The next Technical Plenaries will be on Jan 13 and Mar 10.

There are also ongoing discussions, weekly (Thursdays at 9am ET), in the Nendica calls, to work on the PAR and any appropriate CSD(s) for the IEEE Std 802 updates, to be submitted into the upcoming Technical Plenaries.

Mark