[STDS-802-11] Coexistence SC request for submissions

G’day all

During the Nov 2021 session of the IEEE 802.11 Coex SC a variety of topics were suggested for future discussion, often based on past discussion of these topics. If you would like to provide submissions to our Jan 2022 meeting  to inspire such discussions, please send me an e-mail as soon as possible so that I can plan the January 2022 and March 2022 sessions of the SC before the Christmas holiday break.

Andrew Myles

Chair IEEE 802.11 Coex SC

Questions raised for possible future discussion include:

  • LAA/Wi-Fi coex
    • Is LAA going to have a meaningful market impact?
      • Note: if not then we can stop worrying about LAA coexistence with Wi-Fi (like LTE-U)
    • Does anyone have new measurement data related to LAA/Wi-Fi coexistence?
      • Note: it is expected that new Uni of Chicago measurements/analysis will be available by about March 2022
    • Are there any proposed mitigations to avoid LAA/Wi-Fi coexistence issues?
      • Particularly the hidden station issues highlighted by the Uni of Chicago measurements
  • NR-U/Wi-Fi coex
    • Is NR-U going to have a meaningful market impact?
      • Note: if not then we can stop worrying about NR-U coexistence with Wi-Fi
    • Does the likely market deployment of NR-U suggest a potential Wi-Fi/NR-U coexistence problem in the near future?
      • Does anyone have a NR-U deployment forecast?
    • Have coexistence issues between Wi-Fi/NR-U been observed in actual deployments?
      • Is anyone undertaking or planning to undertake any measurement based studies?
    • Are there any proposed mitigations to avoid NR-U/Wi-Fi coexistence issues?
      • Particularly potential hidden station issues similar to those observed for Wi-Fi/LAA coexistence
  • 802.11ax/be coex in 5 GHz
    • Do we have further input on how to deal with potential 802.11ax/be coexistence issues in 5 GHz band in Europe?
      • Note: potential issues arise because 802.11be is required to use EDT @ -72 dBm, whereas 802.11ax can use traditional PDT/EDT @ -82/-62 dBm
      • Should 802.11be use PDT/EDT @ -72/-72 dBm rather than PDT/EDT @ -82/-72 dBm in some circumstances?
    • Should the IEEE 802.11 WG send a Liaison statement to the Wi-Fi Alliance asking about the market risk to Wi-Fi 7 in 5GHz in Europe if Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 7 operate under different access rules?
      • Note: the Coex SC Chair is planning to make a brief presentation in Jan or Mar 2022 to the WG on the potential issues related to 802.11ax/be coexistence in 5 GHz in Europe
    • Should we not bother deploying 802.11be in 5 GHz in Europe given the potential 802.11ax/be coex issues?
  • 802.11be in 5/6 GHz
    • Are there any features planned for 802.11be that might not be compatible with EN 303 687 (6GHz) or EN 301 893 (5 GHz)?
      • eg does 802.11be ever attempt to access the medium not using the LBT scheme defined in EN 303 687 (6GHz) and EN 301 893 (5 GHz)?
      • Note: a presentation to TGbe/WG on this question is tentatively planned for Mar 2022
  • 802.11ax/be coex in 6 GHz
    • Should 802.11ax/be use PDT/EDT @ -72/-72 dBm or PDT/EDT @ -82/-72 dBm in 6 GHz in Europe
      • Note: former is more aligned with LAA/NR-U, whereas latter is more aligned with traditional Wi-Fi
  • NB FH/Wi-Fi coex
    • Under what conditions can NB FH coexist with Wi-Fi in 6 GHz?
    • What is the status of Wi-Fi/NB FH coexistence discussions in ETSI BRAN?
  • 3GPP update
    • What is status of any work in 3GPP that may impact either LAA/Wi-Fi coexistence or NR-U/Wi-Fi coexistence?
      • eg medium access for side link WI
      • eg NR for licensed upper 6 GHz band WI
      • eg NR-U in 6 GHz WIs