I get the desire to dot i’s and cross t’s here, but if there’s going to be significant work to make sure we avoid unintended consequences, we should consider whether it’s a productive use of time (imho).

Thanks
Thomas

On Feb 2, 2022, at 10:34 AM, Mark Hamilton <mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark,

I would say, “In this case, you’re right, because it was optionally present in the first place.  However, in other cases where if either of those MIB attributes are true, then it is required to be present (not optional), we could add that otherwise it is optional.”

Not sure if I am confusing your point though – and maybe you were only referring to the places where it is already “optionally present if …” ?

Mark

From: Mark Rison <m.rison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 2, 2022 8:15 AM
To: mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx; STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-11] "Present if <condition>" so what about not <condition>?

I think an additional point is that although one can make the argument
that while it might sometimes be harmless to include a "spurious" element,
this then makes the "optionally present" statements confusing.  To pick
one at random, in Beacon frames:

The Quiet element is optionally present if
dot11SpectrumManagementRequired is true or
dot11RadioMeasurementActivated is true.

… but if the Quiet element can also be present if neither of these MIB
attributes is true, then why are they mentioned?  Just say it is optionally
present full stop.

Thanks,

Mark

--
Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français
Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600