[STDS-802-11] ACMA consultation: 5-year spectrum outlook (including 6GHz, terahertz)

Dear 802.18 members,
cc. 802.11 and 802.15 members,

Australia ACMA has begun a consultation on March 16, 2022, about its 5-year spectrum outlook from 2022 to 2027:
https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/2022-03/draft-five-year-spectrum-outlook-2022-27-consultation-122022

Of possible interest to us are the discussion related to 6 GHz and terahertz, which I summarize below for your convenience.

6 GHz (c.f., pages 25, 43, 44, 55, and 58 of the consultation):
ACMA
- reaffirms the progress to allow the use of the lower 6 GHz band for RLANs
- expects further work on the potential use of higher power RLAN devices across the entire 6 GHz band
- expects further work to review class-licensing arrangements to assess whether regulatory settings can be changed to support new technologies, including RLANs such as wi-fi. 100 GHz to 3 THz
- expects further work to evaluate the possibility of implementing AFC

Terahertz (c.f., page 18 of the consultation):
ACMA seeks public opinion on the possibility of developing an ongoing regulatory framework for the spectrum (100 GHz to 3 THz):
- Is the global technology and spectrum market mature enough for Australia to follow the UK and the US in establishing dedicated spectrum management arrangements? Or is it prudent to wait until the technology and business landscape becomes clearer?
- What relative priority would this work have compared to other spectrum management activities?

The comment submission deadline is April 29, 2022.

Please let me know if you are interested in preparing a response for our members to review.  802.18 will need a final response to be approved by the April 14th, 2022, teleconference call.

Regards,
Edward