RE: stds-802-16-mobile: RE: First Draft of Potential MBWA PAR and Five Criteria

Nico,

in drafting the preliminary PAR and Five Criteria.

1. The agreement was to establish the SG under 802.16 and empower the SG to
make a recommendation where within 802 (802.11, 802.16 or new WG) the work
should be done.

2. With respect to the issue of reuse of any existing MAC (802.11 or
802.16/16a) the discussion at the meeting clearly went in the direction that
there was no preconceived notion that the existing MAC(s) were to be used.
The minutes even indicate that there was a motion, (which was defeated) to
enlarge the scope of 802.16a to address fixed/nomadic/low speed mobile
applications using existing PHY modes, thus recognizing that the
requirements for vehicular mobility are different. Roger spoke against the
motion due to the fact that this would delay the ballot on 802.16a and
indicated that the SG should be willing to address that. Again the point was
then made that this would not be used to drive what would be done for full
mobility.

3. The draft PAR was my attempt, as chair, at jumpstarting the project
description and is intended to be neutral with respect to where the work
gets assigned. I believe it is neutral.

According to IEEE rules a single WG can draft more than one standard. So
envisioning it as a separate standard makes no judgment as to where the work
gets done.  (Though I would say that having a contradiction in the title,
i.e. Fixed Broadband Wireless Access ..... for Vehicular Mobility Support,
is a sign that this is not just a syntax problem.)

Similarly putting in Roger's name and 802.16 as WG at this time would not be
neutral and would prejudge the outcome.

I expect contributions on where this work needs to be done and why. The PAR
would be completed based on these contributions and discussion.

4. With respect to deleting some of the detail (eg 1.25 MHz, FDD). I will
see what other comments I get and try to repost on May 2. (Though not
committing on some of these details works against being able to provide the
detail like capacity per user etc. but see below)

5. With respect to the technical/economic feasibility comment, the text I
used is actually modeled on what the 802.16a PAR has, including the pointer
to proprietary achievements. (See URL:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/tg3/docs/802163-00_01.pdf

That PAR and the 5 Criteria were approved.

Some additional detail may be feasible, however, the question of achievable
capacity per user, per cell, per square km are questions that are more
appropriately answered as the standard is specified.