RE: stds-802-16-mobile: Handoff and Sleep Mode Ad-hoc: Start of discussion

Hello All,
This is about C802.16e/03-28 document. The tool suggested
for the solution of the problem seems appropriate: allocate for mobile users

a separated initial ranging channel. But it would be more convincing
with some statistical data. Is the problem really hard? The answer depends
on traffic/mobility characteristics.

For example, we know that for voice cellular networks busy hours arrival
rate may reach 3-4 users/sec per cell. If we assume that data terminals are
not more mobile than cellular
phones then we may expect same order of maximum arrival rate for 802.16e
cells.
If we take MAC frame duration = 5 ms then we have 50-60 frames per SS for
initial ranging. So we may allocate MAINT region with 1-2 slots once per 5
frames
and configure backoff window to 2 or 4 slots and still have 4-5 attempts for

power adjustment of each incoming SS.

Now, what is the role of "fixed" users in this picture? Probably, busy hours
are those when people power up their SSs in the evening. If 100 such events
are
distributed over one hour interval, then we have 36 sec for each user, 10
times more than for mobile one. Thus, under given assumptions, there is
just a small interference from fixed SSs. Do we need a separated MAINT
channel
in this case?

It would be interesting to hear from other participants of the discussion
on their view on traffic/mobility characteristics of future 802.16e users

Vladimir