From: "Roger B. Marks" <r.b.marks@ieee.org>
To: <stds-802-16-mobile@ieee.org>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: stds-802-16-mobile: Handoff Ad Hoc group

> [Forwarded for a non-subscriber.]
>
> To Philip and the TGe group,
>
> By way of introduction: my name is Jeff Mandin and I've started looking at
the TGe mobility work. My specific interest is in how 802.16 mobility will
integrate with higher level components such as Mobile IP, AAA issues etc.
Previously I've worked on the PacketCable and CableHome standards, as well
as with the IETF.

> Regarding the proposal for a beacon message as an alternative to the
HO-REQ/HO-RSP exchange to select a target BS...

> The current approach is preferable for two reasons:
>
> 1. Service operators will not want to broadcast proprietary information
about their network load (even if the information were encrypted). My
experience with DOCSIS cable operators has been that they are careful to
conceal all information about their internal network topology to the extent
that they can.

> 2. If the BS selection decision is made at the headend, it can be based on
policies that can include recognition of preferred customers, device types,
traffic patterns etc.

> This is in addition to the reason mentioned before - namely that network
load isn't fairly measured by flat bits/sec. etc.