Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 1:51 AM
Subject: Re: stds-802-16-mobile: Sleep window parameters in Table 275a

I don't think the argument of 'no other parameter in Table 275a is constraining a negotiated value' applies because all other bound values in 275a (excepting Min_ and Max_ Sleep_Interval) are simple, non-derived values.  In most cases upper bound of a value is constrained by the bits allocated.  As a calculated value based on contributing variables, Max_Sleep_Interval is not similarly constrained.  Therefore an external, arbitrary constraint MAY be warranted.  And because of the unconstrained, exponential increase in the sleep window, Max_Sleep_Interval MUST either be negotiated as a maximum constraint or arbitrarily set.  It absolutely MUST be constrained or else you will have infinite size sleep windows.  Even if you wanted to let the MSS and BS negotiate Max_Sleep_Interval, the negotiation would be arbitrarily constrained by the bits allocated to the negotiation variable (10 bits?, 12 bits?).  It is simplest to put in a reasonable boundary and be done with it.  Changhoi and I have suggested 1,024 frames.  1,024 seems fairly consistent with Itzik's requirements.  Only Ofer has put forth a significantly different value (30 frames) which seems far too low to me.

Of course, you could also just use the sleep algorithm I propose in my contribution 57.  It is more fexible in negotiated values and structures; can be linear, exponential, truncated, or of substantial duration.

As far as listening_interval, we decided at Session 27 to make it a value set by the BS (11.4.14.1 Listening Interval, reported in REG-RSP TLV).  Table 275a has Listening_Interval constraint in the table, but no values.  We also agreed that Min Value should be 4 frames, but it is not in Table 275a.  Max Value is constrained by the 8 bit size allocation for Listening Interval in 11.4.14.1., so no need to set Max Value.  I have not checked to see if any comments address the omission of Min Value for Listening_Interval, but I know my contribution 57 does.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber