From: owner-stds-802-16-mobile@listserv.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-16-mobile@listserv.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Jeff Mandin
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 5:12 PM
To: STDS-802-16-MOBILE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [security] Summary of issues and
requirements for PKMv2

DJ,

Our points of contention here seem to be what belongs inside the MAC and
what doesn't....

1. Preauthentication:   As I stated earlier, nothing in the preauth
message exchange affects the MAC state of any entity; and byzantine
message forwarding is not properly the job of the MAC layer.

Accordingly, if we add a primitive to the MAC Layer Management Entity's
external interface, we can easily accomodate  preauthentication as well
as other Master Key approaches such as the AAA-Server-based ones that
have been discussed in 802.11i .. ie.

    InstallMasterKey(MasterKey, MasterKeyId)

[ This assumes the Key caching mechanism from
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/tge/contrib/C80216e-04_46r2.pdf ]

2. Support for Key Management by External Server - I agree with what you
wrote, so I'm not sure I understand your objection.  Are you stating
that distribution of MAC-layer keys by an external MBS should in fact an
objective for PKMv2?   My point is that if the MBS is to control data
access, then it is by definition doing it at L3 and hence way out of our
scope.

3. "Push" for Multicast TEK -  Thanks for the observations.  Asymmetric
signature is obviously the better approach, but would seem to
necessitate a CA infrastructure or something similar.

- Jeff