Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [security] Summary of issues and requirements for PKMv2

Hi all.

In order to apply PKMv2 to PDAs(or smart phones), not only laptop PCs(or desktop PCs), it is necessary to make clear the efficiency in the requirements for PKMv2 and then reach a consensus between each other(members). The requirement for PKMv2 efficiency that I know is "It must not impose unreasonable computer requirement".(?)

The laptop PCs(or desktop PCs) can adopt the PKMv2 from their powerful computing power and plentiful power supply capability point of view.

However, I think that the PKMv2 has a problem with applying to low-power PDAs(or smart phones). Even though its performance has been improving, its computing power and battery capacity is much lower than one of a laptop PCs(or desktop PCs). PDAs currently require a significant amount of time and power to perform complex computation operations including exponentiation and inverse element calculation.

Therefore I suggest the efficiency in the requirements for PKMv2 as follows.

<Efficiency>

 - Low computational load: The PKMv2 requires a low computational load that can be borne by even low- power devices such as PDAs.

- Minimum number of message exchanges: In terms of network resource efficiency and network delay, it is advantageous to have as few communication rounds as possible. Therefore, the number of messages to be exchanged between the client and the AS(BS) should be kept to a minimum.

 - Minimum communication bandwidth use: The PKMv2 protocol message should be as short as possible.

And, I have a question about Protection of all EAP messages. Tunneled authentication protocols in EAP-methods, such as PEAP, EAP-TTLs, EAP-FAST, set up TLS and transmit encrypted EAP messages. Are there needs to provide protection for TLS Encrypted EAP messages? I think that efficiency should be considered.

To Jeff

   In order to draw out excellent results of security Ad Hoc, I would like to ask you to add Youngman Park (youngman@kt.co.kr),

   who has PH. D degree about security, to our security Ad Hoc e-mail list.

Best Regards

Seong Choon Lee, Ph.D.
Director
Wireless Portable Internet Division
Service Development Laboratory
KT

17, Woomyeon-dong, Seocho-gu,
Seoul, 137-792, Korea
Tel. +82-2-526-6153 (Æò»ý¹øÈ£: 050-2600-0328)
Mobile: +82-16-9345-6445
Fax. +82-2-526-5200
E-mail:
lsc@kt.co.kr