Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [security] Pre-authentication discussion (resend)

DJ,

Comments inline.

Johnston, Dj wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>For pre-authentication, I am proposing a routable PKM packet.
>Specifically, a PKM message format that contains a BSID field. The BS
>uses this field to map to some BS-BS transport address and send the
>packets on their way.
>
>All normal PKMv2 maessages can be carried in this routable form.

This isn't really routing packets.  As Yong Chang said, the Serving BS
is acting as a proxy.

Some reasons for preferring the other approach are in the previous
email.  I would add the fact that most of the PKM messages make no sense
at all in a "remote" scenario.

But more fundamentally: ..... there is no reason for the serving BS to
be actively involved in the exchange.  There's no architectural need for
changes in the MAC that I can see, since the aim is to set up a Secure
Association and established a shared Master Key.

I think this remains true even with the new features you have proposed
ie. the AAID.

>Thus an MSS can pre-authenticate remotely.
>
>Along with this, AA aging is required to prevent AA state building up
>and some guideline on how many BSs an MSS may try to pre-auth to. I'm
>thinking of something like 3-4 as a maximum, so that MSSs can't just
>pre-auth with everything and create an excessing system load.

Yes absolutely.  In this respect the requirements of .16 are somewhere
between 3G - which I understand has rapid aging - and .11.

Regards,
- Jeff

Jeff Mandin
Security Adhoc Chair