From: owner-stds-802-16-mobile@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-16-mobile@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG]On Behalf Of Mary Chion
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 12:37 PM
To: STDS-802-16-MOBILE@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Handoff] Some additional thoughts on Ha ndover process

Raja,

I agree with all your definitions except for virtual soft handoff (handover?). (BTW, did we agree to call it Fast BS Switching as inline with other standards?)

With virtual soft handoff, the SS can be connected with multiple BS (has CIDs assigned to the connection), but only one BS is communicating with the SS at any given time (both uplink and downlink). However, since the SS is connected to multiple BS, the transmitting BS can be switched frequenctly from one BS to another based on some feedback information from the SS. There is no combining done on either downlink or uplink at PHY layer.

We are also writing a more detailed document, hopefully it will clarify it further.

Thanks.

BR,

Mary