Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] Clarification of ID's

Hi,

It seems to me that a single BS-ID must apply to the whole of a
multi-sector transceiver as the previous mail suggests.

The compressed form of DL-MAP (see for example Table 187 of .16-REVd/D5)
contains Sector ID, specified as the least significant octet of BS-ID.
This would necessarily be a problem in a multi-sector BS.

BTW, I'm somewhat confused by Section 11.1.5 of .16-REVd/D5, where
Vendor ID is specified as the organisationally unique identifiers found
in the BS MAC address. Is this the only reference to a BS MAC address?
Do we think that a BS needs a MAC address? Even if it did, wouldn't it
need one per sector?

Regards,

Mark Thomas

----------------------

Dear all: How are you?

I think there are lots of confusions on various ID's and their
hierarchy/relationship. Here is what I think. Note that the hierarchy is
given in the order of appearance given in the following.

BS-ID (48 bits) : only specifies the BS even though it has multiple FA
and multiple sectors. Hence, if only BS ID is specified, the BS itself
is identified, not a specific sector in a certain FA.

FA ID (8 bits): As mentioned during the conference call, FA ID means the
channel index or number that would be defined by the service provider.

Sector ID (8 bits by preamble index): After specifying the BS ID and FA
ID, we still have to specify which sector the traffic or data is
directed to. As we said, maybe only 2 bits (or 3 bits if 6 sector BS)
are enough to specify one sector of a BS. However, in the standard, the
network never specifies the preamble index that the neighboring
sector/BS uses, which delays the synchronization time in scanning or HO.
Hence, although the overhead employing the preamble index instead of
sector ID is a little higher, the preamble index as sector ID gives more
benefits compared to the added overhead.

Note that if a BS has only one FA, then FA ID is not necessary since
already Physical Center Frequency is given in the MOB-NBR-ADV message.
One more note is that it seems the sector ID should be listed for each
FA. However, in the different FA, the reuse of the same preamble index
doesn't make any confusion. So, just listing FA ID and Preamble Index in
MOB-NBR-ADV message is enough to specify all the FA and sector
combination.

In conclusion, if there is a BS which as multiple FA and sectors, to
specify a sector in a certain FA, we require 64 bits (48 bits for BS ID
+ 8 bits for FA ID + 8 bits for sector ID/preamble index).

I hope this email helps all the members understand the hierarchy and the
relationships of ID's.

Regards,

Jung-Won Kim, Ph. D.