Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [handoff]Periodic Scanning

The case the MSS does not report the CINR and RSSI to the BS is not an option. The results of measurements of a single MSS are virtually meaningless.
----- Original Message -----
From: bcihm
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 10:36 AM
Subject: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [handoff]Periodic Scanning

Dear Prakash and all

In the last Telecon, the contribution "A method of scanning neighbor BSs periodically-rev2" got some comments.

Regarding the length of the fields in MOB-SCN-REQ message, SCAN DURATION(12bits), NORMAL OPERATION PERIOD(8bits), SCAN ITERATION(8bits), I think that the 12 bits for SCAN DURATION is too long. Because, as it was described in the contribution, 12 bits means approximately 20 seconds for ONE scanning. In my opinion, 8bits are large enough for SCAN DURATION. I think the tens of mille second is proper duration for an MSS to scan ONE neighbor BS, if the length of frame is assumed to 5ms. And also, if we assume that the maximum number of neighbor BSs which should be scanned by an MSS is 19(2 Tiers), the duration for ONE scanning will be less than 950 ms (190 frames = 19x50ms).

In WCDMA-GSM handover of 3GPP, it is recommended for UE(User Equipment) to measure the channel quality of GSM twice in 8 frames. It can be interpreted into that the UE iteratively measures with the period of 40 ms. Real value for the period of scanning should be decided by conformance test, but I think the 8 bits for the NORMAL OPERATION PERIOD is enough(8bits = 1.28ms).

Regarding the reason why the MSS can select the length of NORMAL OPERATION and SCAN ITERATION, in case the MSS does not report CINR or RSSI to serving BS, only the MSS knows the change of the channel. So in this case, the MSS can request the scan related parameters more adaptively to channel change. I guess the other existing parameter such as SCAN DURATION can be also requested by MSS even though the BS allocates final value referring to the requested value.

I expect any comment on this issue.

B.R

kihyoung

Kihyoung Cho
Research Engineer
Standards & System Research Group
Mobile Communication R&D Center, LG Electronics Inc.
Phone:+82-(0)31-450-2945
Mobile:+82-(0)11-738-3895
Fax:+82-(0)31-450-7912
e-mail: kihyoung@lge.com