Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [security] About Security Context Transfer Contribution for fast re-authentication

Donnie hi,

The terminology here seems incorrect. "Pre-authentication" generally
means conducting an authentication exchange in advance or in
anticipation of HO. And "Fast Reauthorization" generally refers to a
brief exchange to confirm mutual identity that happens after a network
entry that was preceded by Pre-authentication.

Though I can't vouch for the terminology or conclusions from your
subcommittee F2F, from your message it sounds like what you call fast
re-authentication is really full transfer of Security Context (including
keys, timers, counters, etc.), which is much more vulnerable than
pre-authentication followed by AK keying, and possibly too vulnerable
for 802.16. Key Reuse violates the notion of forward secrecy, opens up
Replay vulnerabilities, and often provokes disdain from security
experts. I think that this is basically what Phil is saying.

Regarding SAID_Update, my reply comment was based on the assumption that
there is no such thing as full Security Context Transfer. If there is
full Security Context Transfer, then SAID_Update is of course necessary.

Regards,
- Jeff