From: Phillip Barber [mailto:pbarber@BROADBANDMOBILETECH.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 7:14 PM
To: STDS-802-16-MOBILE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Handoff] Telecon this week?

I have seen little activity in the last couple of weeks to harmonize some of the contributions dealing with major new concepts like SHO and Fast Switching, MIMO, preambles, final on LDPC coding, etc....  Perhaps the work has been ongoing but invisible.

Just looking at SHO and Fast Switching, it looks to me like some or all of the following contributions could be harmonized:

C80216e-04_110r1  MIMO SHO based Macro diversity transmission for coverage improvement
C80216e-04_162  Macro-MIMO Enhancements for Cellular OFDMA Systems
C80216e-04_165  OFDMA PHY Layer Support for SHO Based Macro-Diversity Transmission
C80216e-04_166r1  Fast BS Switching using FPCH
C80216e-04_170r1  OFDMA PHY Layer Support for SHO Based Macro-Diversity Transmission ­ Additional components for soft combining
C80216e-04_171  Soft Handover and Fast BS Switching Procedure

I have looked through these and some of the contributions definitely have competing mechanics.

For MIMO:

C80216e-04_112r1  Closed-loop MIMO enhancement
C80216e-04_113r1  Soft packet combing for STC re-transmission to improve H-ARQ performance in MIMO mode
C80216e-04_162  Macro-MIMO Enhancements for Cellular OFDMA Systems
C80216e-04_159  Improved Data and Pilot Allocation for Cellular OFDMA Systems with Multiple Antennas
C80216e-04_160  Enhanced MIMO Transmission Schemes for Cellular OFDMA Systems
C80216e-04_161  Enhancements with MIMO Midambles for Cellular OFDMA Systems
C80216e-04_158  Enhanced H-ARQ MAC Support for MIMO OFDMA
C80216e-04_163  Enhanced H-ARQ MAC Support for MIMO OFDMA
C80216e-04_186  Range Enhancement by using differential modulations
C80216e-04_193  STC Layer Burst Mapping and Vertical Encoding
C80216e-04_210r1  Multi-antenna scheme for band AMC channel in OFDMA PHY - Multiuser diversity and multiplexing (MUDAM)

Though some of these are fairly stand-alone concepts, they seem to all able to benefit from a combined editing scrubbing and merging of some of the core concepts.

etc....

It is going to be ridiculous for us to meet in Portland and approve competing concepts (a possibility), or editorially contradictory contributions.

If the contributions do work together in harmony, there should be explanation in the comments indicating so (i.e. to which contributions exactly the proposal is harmonized with; conversely, for the Security Ad-Hoc and HO Ad-Hoc only, that they are 'xxx Ad-Hoc Consensus Contributions').

Thanks,
Phil