Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Harmonization] Question for FBSS

Dave,

I think the issues you raised are cruicial ones. I would like to try to
address some of them here.

1. H_Add and H_Delete are parameters included in DCD message. They are set
by the network and broadcast to all the MSS in the BS.

2. Active set is part of of contribution for FBSS and SHO and it is adopted
in the 802.16e.

3. You are correct, there should be a limit in the number of  BSs allowed in
the active set. It can be done by one of the two ways:
    a) Since the BS is involved in the HO process, the BS can limit the
number of BSs in the active set without changing the standard. When the MSS
send MOB-MSSHO-REQ message to the BS, the BS will send the new active set
information to the MSS in MOB-BSHO-RSP message and BS can limit the number
of BS in the active set in the message. It is stated in the standard that
"the actual Active Set chosen by the MSS shall be a subset of those listed
in MOB_xxxHO-RSP and shall be indicated in MOB-HO-IND".
    b) We can specify the maximum number of BSs in active set in the
standard. But, this might not be necessary.

4. An Anchor BS is defined as one of the BSs in the active set. The role of
Anchor BS in Fast BS Switching is to be the only BS communicating with the
MSS. What's added in the standard is only addressing the over-the-air
interface. I'm not sure if I fully understand what you mean by excluding a
BS to be the anchor BS. For FBSS, an anchor BS is necessary for the HO
scenario. I agree with you, if the same data are sent to all BSs in the
active set BS instead of just to the anchor BS, there will be a major impact
on backhaul capacity (especially for services with high speed data) and it
might not even be an accpetable implementation.  This is an important issue
for network design. However, I don't think we can address this issue in
802.16e since 802.16e only defines the over-the-air interface. This should
be resovled at system implentation.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Regards,

Mary