Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [HARMONIZATION] Backward Compatibility Support for The Proposed Fast Paging Indication

All,

Based on our CC last night, it seems like most people consoder the fast paging and broadcast change indication  (FPBC) as a useful feature to enhance the idle mode performance. The main issue, however, was the backward compatibililty of the proposed scheme for 2K FFT scenario:

To address this concern we propose the following options and we would like to hear you thought on them.

We use two existing reserved bits in FCH (DLFP)  to show the presense of FPBC channel, its location and its referred frame as follows:

                b1b2 ="00"  FPBC not supported

                b1b2 ="01" FPBC supported, it is right after FCH and refers to paging and configuration changes in the CURRENT frame.

                b1b2 ="11" FPBC supported, it is right after FCH and refers to paging and configuration changes in the NEXT frame.

                b1b2 ="10" FPBC supported, it is right after Uplink MAP and refers to paging and configuration changes in the NEXT frame. Note in this case  although less efficient one could also indicate the allocation of FPBC in the DL MAP but this allocation should not be changed dynamically.

Using this approach:

*When system is using 2K FFT the b1b2=10 can be used to allow backward compatibility while supporting FPBC.

*In all another cases the operator can choose any of the four options.

*So we can benefit from this optional feature without necessarily loosing backward compatibility.

We appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks

Kamran