Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [STDS-802-16] [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Harmonization] MBS Harmonization

Hi Yong and Vladimir,

A few points:

1. What distinguishes MBS service from standard multi-receiver Service
Flows is that MBS uses precisely synchronized transmission over multiple
BSes.  This is an ironclad requirement if the service is to benefit from
both macrodiversity of multiple transmitters and seamless transitions
when moving (as Yong has mentioned).

Since accomplishing synchronized transmission means performing certain
functions (ie. classification, fragmentation, scheduling) at a
centralized point (ie. the MBS Server) distinct from the individual BS,
I'm surprised that there seems to be almost no text that mentions this.

2. I agree with your point Vladimir that there are strong arguments for
doing encryption at the point of distribution (just as the scheduling
and fragmentation is done at the point of distribution).  However the
current draft states that encryption can be done either at the point of
distribution or at the BS.  When done at the BS regular 802.16 security
will not ensure that the exact same keys and IVs are used at each BS.
Hence there is currently special security defined for the MBS case.

3. My specific suggestions for the current MBS draft text (section 3 only):

    a) use the term "MBS connection", since "multicast connection"
describes a regular service flow that happens to have multiple listeners
(eg. connection for broadcasts in LAN emulation)

    b)  Include text to emphasize that classification, fragmentation,
and scheduling is done at MBS Server entity (MBS Server-BS interface is
not part of 16e scope)

    c) MBS_IE: I agree with Vladimir that it should be more general

If I have time I'll try to put together some text for b).

BR,

- Jeff