RE: stds-802-16-tg4: RE: stds-802-16: February Interim Meeting for theWirelessHUMAN T ask Group

You are partly right about "coexistence" Zion.
The WRC97 adopted primary allocation for active spaceborne sensors,
including Synthetic Aperture Radars, in the bands 5.25 to 5.35 GHz and 5.35
to 5.46GHz   This latter systems "coexistence" is something the WLANs and
FWA PMP systems have to seriously consider as it is considerably different
than what the licensed bands have to contend with. Moreover the coexistence
definition of ETSI TM4 does not apply for unlicensed bands. ITU-R is very
actively pursuing the issue for the WRC 03 of WLANs and FWA interference
exceeding the SAR's interference requirements.  ETSI BRAN is considering the
Hiperlan2 interference only to SARs but not to FWA.  802.16 and 11 have to
consider all systems sharing this bands; e.g., global "coexistence" of
RLANs, FWA, and SARS in the 5.25-5.35 GHz.    Moreover for the unlicensed
bands the term coexistence does not mean the samething as in the licensed
band; e.g., the
Regards

Dr. Demosthenes J. Kostas
Director, Industry Standards