stds-802-16: Wireless DSL Consortium

Roger,

The Wireless DSL Consortium Steering Committee has studied the
current situation with multiple MMDS specification initiatives and
decided that our objectives would be better served by supporting the
1Standard effort and the IEEE standards committee. We have chosen to
discontinue our activities and have the members focus their efforts
accordingly. The committee approved the following statement.

	The Wireless DSL Consortium was founded in July 2000 to
accelerate the deployment of broadband wireless access solutions to
the marketplace. The seven Promoter and eight Adopter members of the
Consortium have made considerable progress in the definitions of
standards and products towards this end. In addition, two other
important industry initiatives have started up with very similar
goals: the IEEE 802.16 Working Group and the service provider
supported 1Standard committee under the auspices of the WCA. The
1Standard committee is, in fact, providing input to IEEE. Upon
reviewing the goals and activities of the Consortium and these two
other committees, the Consortium's Steering Committee has decided
that the objectives of the Consortium can be advanced by
concentrating the effort in these committees. The Steering Committee
has, therefore, chosen to discontinue its separate activities and
strongly urges all of its members and the members of other forums to
support the WCA and IEEE in the effort to provide a standard for
interoperable products making low cost, high quality service
available to the larger MMDS market.

We are submitting this statement to you now so that you can
understand our position in the standards effort and our support for
IEEE. If you believe that it would be appropriate, you may place the
statement in your newsletter or on the web page.

The member companies thank you for your efforts on behalf of the industry.

Lamar

Lamar Bishop
Secretary/Treasurer
Wireless DSL Consortium