stds-802-16: **ACT NOW** =>Change of venue for 802.16 Session #14 (9-13 July)

This is an IMPORTANT CHANGE ANNOUNCEMENT regarding 802.16 Session #14:
	<http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg14/index.html>

Due to a shortage of meeting space at the main 802 hotel for the July
9-13 IEEE 802 Plenary Meeting, IEEE 802.16 Sesion #14 has been
relocated to a nearby hotel. As you recall, the same thing happened
at Session #12, and it worked out pretty well. The only thing we
criticized was the failure to provide advance notice. This time, we
have been given notice and I think we will be fine. Space will still
be tighter than we'd like, but it looks to be adequate and is much
better than was available in the main hotel. However, you need to ACT
IMMEDIATELY to ensure that you have a hotel room in the new facility.

Here is what you need to know:

(1) Session #14 will take place at the:

Portland Marriott City Center
<http://www.marriotthotels.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=PDXCT>
520 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205-3424 USA
Phone: +1-503-226-6300 or 1-800-228-9290
Fax: +1-503-227-7515

This is a very nice hotel, and I think you'll be happy staying there.
The group rate is $136 ($5 higher than our rate at the Marriott
Downtown).

(2) The City Center is holding 120 rooms for us on the busy nights.
IEEE 802 has agreed to give us first crack at them. Right now, the
rooms are being held only through this Friday, June 15. This may be
extended. However, in a few days, 802 will begin advertising the City
Center as overflow space for the sold-out Marriott Downtown. At that
point, we can expect the available reservations to fill up quickly;
furthermore, as word gets out, other 802 people may start snapping up
the rooms before the announcement. So, please, reserve your room
immediately! There are three ways to make your reservation:

  (a) Call one of the numbers above and mention the Group Name "802.16".
       If you are changing from the Marriott Downtown to the Marriott
City Center,
       the 800 number will let you get by with one phone call, and you shouldn't
       need to provide your personal data again.
  (b) Fax or mail the PDF form:
      http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg14/hotel_form.pdf
  (c) Enter the Group Code "IEEIEEA" into the web-based form:
http://www.marriotthotels.com/reservations/Availability.asp?brand=MC&marshacode=PDXCT
       If this link doesn't work, click "Make reservation" at the
top-left corner of:
       <http://www.marriotthotels.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=PDXCT>

(3) If you are holding reservations that you don't need at the
Portland Marriott Downtown (or at any other hotel), please make sure
to cancel them. You can reach the Portland Marriott Downtown at
+1-503-226-7600 or 1-800-228-9290. If you are changing from the
Marriott Downtown to the Marriott City Center, use the 800 number, if
possible, for the easiest transaction [see 2(a)].

(4) The Portland Marriott City Center is about 1.4 km (0.9 miles)
from the Portland Marriott Downtown. I've made a map with directions:
      http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg14/hotel-to-hotel.pdf

It's no walk on the beach (like we had in Hilton Head), but I've been
told that it's a pleasant 15 minute stroll, assuming that it isn't
raining. Dry weather is, however, not a safe assumption. A
20-passenger shuttle bus will provide round-trip service between the
two hotels three times per day (morning, mid-day, and late afternoon).

(5) Preregistration for Session #14 has come on-line this morning.
It's a new system; I've just tried it and it worked for me. The URL
is:
      http://www.ieee802.org/meeting/Pregform.html
The preregistration deadline, to save $50, is June 27.

(6) Badges and receipts for preregistered attendees will be available
at the Marriott City Center. This is another reason to preregister!
Otherwise, you will need to visit the Portland Marriott Downtown to
register.

(7) You will need to visit the Marriott Downtown if you wish to
attend the 802 Opening Plenary, the evening tutorials, the Wednesday
Social, or for meetings of, for example:
	*other Working Groups
         *the 802 Sponsor Executive Committee (SEC)
         *802's Coexistence Study Group
         *802's Regulatory Ombudsman

(8) The 802.16 Opening Plenary will start at 1:30 pm on Monday. The
Closing Plenary will finish by noon on Friday. TAKE NOTE, because
this is the first time we will meet on the Friday of an 802 Plenary
Week.

(9) The meeting plan and space assignments are at:
      http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg14/agenda.html

(10) Self-parking for in-house guests of the Marriott City Center is
$19 per night or $5 per hour.

(11) The hotel is 12 miles from the Portland International Airport
(PDX). A Gray Line Airport Express shuttle (1-800-422-7042) runs
every 45 minutes (5 am-midnight) and charges $15 ($22 round-trip).
Travel time is quoted as 20-45 minutes. Reservations are not
accepted. For more information on this shuttle and other ground
transportation services, see
<http://www.portlandairportpdx.com/web_pop/GRNDTRAN.HTM>

(12) Airline and auto rental discount information is available in the
IEEE 802 Plenary Session Package
<http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/meeting>.

Sorry about the disruption. Still, this move is for the better.

Regards,

Roger