RE: stds-802-16: OFDM vs. Other Waveforms

The "Issue" is not just Multipath, but also predictable / reliable
performance in non- and near-LOS deployments, especially where CPE
installation cost / process is an issue (e.g. residential and SME) or for
customer self-installability or portability.

We need to answer all these questions for ALL waveforms - and people
currently seem to be avoiding this issue. Restricting modulation rates to
16-QAM or less for NLOS (which is probably the only viable approach at
present) will severely limit payload throughput / capacity and fail to
sustain a viable business case. We should be concentrating far more on
solutions which are optimized for NLOS performance (i.e. lower modulation
rates) and superior payload capacity ( e.g. through very high inter-cell and
intra-cell frequency reuse). Unfortunately, more people seem to be
interested in just pushing the technology that they happen to have (almost)
available, rather than addressing the real world issues.