stds-802-16: RESEND : Clarification

Roger - Sorry to be a pain, but I'm having difficulty understanding the current process - where we are and where we're headed. I would appreciate your clarification before I return my ballot and comments etc. There are four topics :

a) Letter Ballot #5

This is in two parts.

i) Authority to carry on normal WG activity at the Calgary Interim Meeting. I believed that we automatically had this under the PARs since we have not yet finalized a Draft Standard to go to Sponsor Ballot. Why do we need to vote now on this aspect ?

ii) Authority to (potentially) issue a new Draft and request SEC approval for Sponsor Ballot at / after the Calgary Plenary. You have already clarified that this does not preclude other courses of action from  the Calgary meeting, so I'm missing the point of why we need to vote on this one specific possible course of action.

Since this is really a "Procedural" Motion which is out for Letter Ballot, should the pass rate be 50%, and Commentary should probably have a (new) Procedural Comment Category (rather than just editorial or technical).

b) Rejection of Sponsor Ballot Request

I haven't seen a report of the actual results and reasons for the SEC rejection of our request, and what issues / comments the SEC needs to see resolved before we re-submit a proposal. From the (few) emails which you circulated prior to (or during) the voting process the main issues seemed to be :

i) Addressing the perceived 802.11 coexistence issues / topics.
ii) Resolving the outstanding TBDs
iii) Addressing more clearly / constructively the "Negative" comments

Were there other reasons / factors that we should know about ? Does 802 produce a set of comments / issues in support of its votes ? Will you be presenting a detailed report / analysis of the SEC voting / issues before or at the Calgary meeting - together with a set of objectives / priorities for addressing them ?

c) Call for Contributions

Your call for Contributions on "Mergers and Consolidations" seems to have come out of the blue. It was not discussed or voted on at the St Louis meeting and does not appear to address the specific issues involved in the SEC Sponsor Ballot rejection (and I haven't seen any SEC comments concerning the technical content of D3 or the number of options / modes). I also haven't seen a Call for Contributions on the specific topics relevant to the Sponsor Ballot rejection (see above).

In my opinion, the current Call for Contributions is out of order, and a different one is required to address the SEC issues.

So far, we have avoided detailed / objective technical analysis / comparison against the FRD and Channel / Traffic models because we have not actually eliminated or added any technical proposals since the original contributions (except Mesh which seemed to creep in through the TG4 side door). We have just consolidated / rationalized into the current D3 format/structure and filled out a bunch of details, and further actions were identified at St Louis to complete this process. If we are now expecting to add or delete specific (significant) technical modes / options (and I hear some rumors to that effect) then we MUST insist that this be done by due proper technical evaluation / comparison against the established criteria, otherwise we cannot claim to be following an accredited Standards creation process.

Personally, I think that we should continue to revise / refine D3 to meet the SEC concerns and then resubmit for Sponsor Ballot. Opening up the draft for new proposals (additions or significant deletions) will force a more lengthy technical process (possibly two or three meeting cycles) and delay the whole project to the point of market irrelevance (we're getting pretty close to that now).

d) Calgary Meeting Agenda

Your Draft agenda sticks to the TGa MAC / PHY split. Many of us have previously complained about the way that this divides the Group into unnecessary / inefficient factions, and this is even more true now that we don't have any significant / numerous comments to resolve. My preference is to meet in Calgary as a single TGa group and address the Draft Standard as a whole, focussing on the SEC issues etc. This will also offset the effect of having a new Mobile Study Group in action, which will also dilute the pool of talent available for resolving TGa issues.

David Trinkwon
Email : Trinkwon@compuserve.com

USA Tel : 650 245 5650            Fax : 650 649 2728
UK   Tel : +44 (0)7802 538315  Fax : +44 (0)20 7504 3586