RE: stds-802-16: 802.18 draft: Reply Comments on 5 GHz NPRM

Roger,

I am supporting a position to change the current power limits in the band(s)
of interest.

- remove text related to the rejection of "high power" transmission in the
bands identified

- insert in its place the following or similar text:

"We fully understand the importance of US Rural Internet Access to the
Wireless ISP industry and also that the spectrum of interest, especially in
rural areas, will virtually not be used by residential users, assuming few
if any LANs will be deployed there.

The existing WRC-03 agreement is based on co-existence studies for scenarios
that are not specific to Rural areas; example, very high user density on a
per square area basis. These scenarios have not taken into account the
possibility of using sectored antennae and antenna tilt on Base Stations, or
other interference mitigation techniques that are being proposed in
applicable standards.

A recommendation is that new sharing studies should be done, by both the FCC
and ITU-R, in order to verify the possibility of increasing the allowed EIRP
levels specifically for Rural ISP applications.

If, due to different reasons, increased power, in the bands in the bands of
interest, is not approved, it is suggested that a search for other spectrum
suitable for these applications be done."

Gordon Antonello