stds-802-16: Liaison input from ITU-T SG 9

Colleagues,

I'd like to report on activities regarding ITU-T Study Group 9 (SG 9), which addresses "Integrated Broadband Cable Networks and Television and Sound Transmission".

Recall that, in response to indications of interest from SG 9:
	http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-03_21.pdf
	http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-03_22.pdf

the WG responded during Session #29:
	http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-04_01.pdf
noting that it had appointing a committee of the Working Group Chair and Vice Chair to participate in SG 9's January 2004 meeting.

Ken Stanwood and I did attend that meeting. We were impressed with the enthusiasm of SG 9 about the use of IEEE 802.16 in conjunction with modern cable networks. As you will see, some significant output arose.

We have now received a liaison letter from ITU-T SG 9:
	http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-04_05.pdf

The letter says "We agree that the 802.16 technology has much in common with that of SG 9, particularly in the areas of Quality of Service and privacy. We see several opportunities to exploit this commonality to the advantage of SG 9. SG 9 has begun work on a draft new recommendation, J.ibwe, to specify requirements for broadband wireless extensions to IPCablecom networks. A copy of the draft text is attached. We welcome the comments of the 802.16 Working Group and hope for further productive interactions."

I have asked for ITU for permission to post the Proposed draft new Recommendation J.ibwe openly. In the meantime, I have placed it on our password-protected area:
	http://ieee802.org/16/private/liaison/L80216-04_06.pdf
It is also available from ITU, for those with ITU TIES passwords:
	http://www.itu.int/md/meetingdoc.asp?type=mitems&lang=e&parent=T01-SG09-040115-TD-GEN-0123

I hope that 802.16 will respond with constructive technical comments, as requested, and will contribute new material to the draft as appropriate. Session #30 would be a good time to approve a response. However, I think we should begin thinking about this in advance. Ken and I will continue to coordinate this activity. If you have thoughts about the technical content of our response and would like to help draft it, please contact me.

Regards,

Roger
--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov> +1 303 497 3037
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO, USA