From: owner-stds-802-16@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-16@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Johnston, Dj
Sent: 30 March 2004 02:04
To: STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16] [NETMAN_SG] Network Management Study Group

Here's my thoughts on what we might do with security:

There are arguably three (partially overlapping) layers to 802.16 mobile security, the link cipher (AES-CCM and DES-CBC), the local network entry and key management (PKM) and the interaction with network side AAA architectures (currently lightly defined but involving EAP).

Not withstanding the need for a more efficient secure link cipher (GCM based?) I believe the link ciphers are done for now. It would be prudent to wait for 802.1ae and others to go through the pain of specifying an authenticated encryption mode that is fast, efficient and secure (pick any two) before 802.16 attempts another upgrade. In the meantime, I think the actual requirements will become much more detailed as we gain deployment experience.

We know PKM to have a number of security flaws, albeit mitigated by the very high practical barriers to misuse that derive from the nature of P2PM high frequency fixed equipment. Rather than attempt incremental upgrades to security with backwards compatible delta changes to the PKM messaging, I suggest that we go for a separate PKMv2 with messaging aimed at the needs of mobile equipment. In the medium term there would be a rough alignment of fixed=PKMv1 and mobile=PKMv2. PKMv2 would have secure authenticated key exchange, mutual authentication, base certs etc., generally borrowed from current examples available elsewhere (802.11i, IETF). This would allow us to let the current PKMv1 go through without too much fuss and meet the needs of fixed equipment. Mobile equipment might have something that meets the needs of mobile operators with PKMv2.

PKMv2 could be done in 16e, A network management PAR or a security PAR. I think 16e is becoming a stretch and dealing with PKMv2 in a new PAR would remove a road block from the other mobility work in 16e.

The AAA network interaction is something tied into the nature of the networks 802.16 becomes part of. I see this as being right on track for a network management PAR.

So in summary..

Ignore link ciphers until a clear need for something new turns up.
PKM remains as it is, with a version 1 tag as per the current spec.
PKMv2 gets defined either in a network management PAR or a security PAR.
AAA is an integral part of a network management PAR.

Feedback is most welcome..

DJ