Re: [STDS-802-16] [NETMAN_SG] Network Management Study Group

All,

Lots of good input. My thoughts resonate with
a lot of what has been mentioned. It is good that
besides the more "typical" network management
topics such as MIBs, interfaces, AAA, we are
including broader topics such as like service flows,
service deployment scenarios, mobility support,
network models/architecture, reference models etc.

The study group should also include radio
resource measurement/management topics that
specify how the radio layer can be managed.
802.11k addresses this area. For example,
radio measurements from a terminal modem
should be available/exposed to a management system.

Additonally, some viewpoints/ideas I would suggest to
frame our thinking (some of this may overlap
with what has already been said):

(a) support of target applications: this is essentially
an exercise of keeping specific applications in mind,
e.g. VoIP and going thru the steps of the hooks
needed to support it.

(b) support for fixed/mobile synergy/co-deployment:
802.16 is somewhat unique in the way
it targets fixed and mobile scenarios and
represents a range of industry interests.
There may be scenarios where a service provider
overlays fixed and mobile. Some systems may have strong
interworking between fixed & mobile services.
There may be users who move between these domains;
they may change devices and/or modems or not.
The right network management hooks can enhance
this synergy beyond the obviously-needed support for
handoffs a la 802.21 to other standards.
This viewpoint also brings up issues about having to
deal with a different set of standards,
e.g. security, for fixed and mobile.

- Shankar