Re: [STDS-802-16] [NETMAN_SG] notes on 802.11F

Vladimir is right that it's "802.11F", not "802.11f". Lower case
represents an amendment. 802.11F is not an amendment to IEEE Std
802.11. It's is a standalone Recommended Practice. I think this was
done mainly because going above Layer 2 would be controversial in
802. As a Recommended Practice rather than a standard, the potential
for controversy was expected to be lower.

A "Recommended Practice" contains normative material, not just
informative. This is typically done with "should" statements, whereas
a Standard uses "shall" statements. But, according to IEEE, "should"
is normative too.

While you can include "should" statements in a standard, I think that
it is natural that a large collection of "should" statements would be
published separately. One other thing: 802.11F was intended to apply
across a range of applications, not only to 802.11 access points.

Roger