From: Marianna Goldhammer [mailto:marianna.goldhammer@alvarion.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 11:07 AM
To: Chayer, Remi; STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-16] Wireless Broadband Task Force of U.S. FCC Reque sts Comments

Remi,

You probably think that the spectrum will be used only by operators ?!.

What will hapen, is that everybody will be able to buy a $300 Access Point and few $150 SS,  just to have free direct link with his neighbours and exchange films.

This is called ad-hoc deployment, 802.11 like, nobody can control it.  The nice thing regarding 802.11 is that the standard (not a co-existence practice) includes a mechanism for authomatically sharing the spectrum, called CCA (clear channel assesment) or "listen before send".  With this mechanism, a number of systems are even able to use the same frequency, by sharing the channel in time. However,  this mechanism is nor suitable for 802.16.

802.16 still lacks such a mechanism, to allow a number of systems to share the spectrum: the paradox is that its own succeess may be a high danger for its use by WISP !.

Regarding the Licensing, this will give not only really QoS (instead of "some QoS"), but also rights on spectrum property. The cell sizes will be higher (power allowance), more suitable for big opperators.

Please take the technical and marketing evidence into account.

Kind Regards,

Marianna