Re: [STDS-802-16] Fwd: Re: [STDS-802-16] [PREAMBLE] - Technical discussion on preamble structure and sequence design

Title: Samsung Enterprise Portal mySingle

Dear Jiho Jang and all,

I agree that the computational complexity required in the correlation algorithm using symmetric pattern is higher than that of using repetitive pattern. However, the peak value among correlation values from the algorithm using the repetitive pattern is vague so that multiple candidates for fine synchronization appear. As a result, a lot of additional correlation process with time domain version of preamble PN sequence are required to find fine timing. On the other hand, the peak value from the algorithm using symmetric pattern is easily detected even though Nfft/4 samples are used for correlation. This results in few additional correlations for fine timing synchronization. Therefore overall processing burdens of both algorithms are almost same.

Secondly, I also think that coarse frequency offset cannot be obtained only with the symmetric pattern. The coarse frequency offset can be acquired efficiently from phase rotation between CP and tail of symbol in symmetric pattern. When the coarse freq. offset is computed after the coarse time synchronization, the performance under the symmetric pattern is better than that under the repetitive pattern.

In addition, I wonder if common preamble is useful in handover. Since preamble indices of neighbor cells are known to SS through the messages related to handover, acquisition of synchronization with neighbor cells can be achieved as fast as the common preamble does. The common preamble right before the cell-specific preamble in this case seems to be overhead. The common preamble every second frame makes the time required for scanning longer. Since the main objective of scanning is measurement of CINR of neighbor cells, SS has to find the cell-specific preamble. Therefore, SS wastes a frame including common preamble without obtaining CINR.

This is my short comment on common preamble and the repetitive pattern.

Best Regards,

Bin-Chul Ihm