Re: [STDS-802-16] [PREAMBLE] Technical discussions of preamble sequence design.

Dear Jason,

I did not understand why you claim that the CAZAC design outperforms the
current design (or any other design for that matter), and I don't think we
currently have a problem of battery drain because in any operating mode of
the system, including sleep and idle you should not have a problem with
scanning for neighbors preambles. This is due to several reasons
1. The network is supposed to be synchronized, so once you are initially
locked on one preamble, you know quite a few things on neighbor preambles,
which make scanning easier
2. The preamble space is divided into 3 distinct groups, so search overhead
is just 1/3 from what it seems
3. Most of the users, most of the time are not that mobile, and your
neighbors change slowly enough so that even with a big sleep window (~1 sec)
you can easily cover all the preamble space
4. Before a MSS goes to sleep, it is awake, and when awake it receives
information about neighbor preambles, so it does not really have to scan
everything. When handing over the MSS again receives information about
neighbor preambles, and again scanning can be avoided.

The above being said, I think that if you want me (or anybody else
interested in this discussion) to seriously consider your proposal, you must
make it fit to the system design, which is OFDMA. Yes, it is scalable, but
it still supports PUSC, FUSC, reuse 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1, specific FEC engines,
and many other things. All these do things do not change when we change FFT
size, and we don't want them to change, because this will make implementing
scalable OFDMA an impossible nightmare.

I do not have anything against CAZAC sequences, but as I said in my previous
email, a preamble that fits with the rest of the system must be 1/3
populated, and should have low PAPR. If you can meet these requirements with
CAZAC sequences, I will be happy to support your proposal.

BR,
Yigal