Re: [STDS-802-16] Issues for the usage of the Secondary managemen t connection

Dear Vladimir and Pertz

I think the idea of Pertz is right and I also think that MIP at the terminal should be assumed.

Pertz has pointed out that advertisements are minimized and solicitations are sent when prior challenge is stale in cdma2000, but if we can define multicast management connection (CID) in 802.16 we can continuously send advertisement. My point is that if advertisement is not delivered regularly, L3 would generate solicitation. We can not only consider IPv4, but also consider IPv6. Advertisement interval is very short in Mobile IPv6 and this will cause more frequent solicitation if we don’t deliver advertisement.

In 802.16, we do have quick movement detection algorithm through L2 (HO Optimization flags). This is effective when FA or subnet changes. However, because we don’t have L2.5 yet, L3 is independent of the L2. Therefore, even though L2 detects movement and finds out no need to change FA, L3 would still check for periodic advertisement. If MSS doesn’t receive advertisement within lifetime then it will generate solicitation. Once multicast management connection is defined, it is safer to transmit periodic advertisement message.

Best Regards,

Ronny Kim

LG Electronics, Inc.