Re: [STDS-802-16] Concerns regarding leftover comment resolution

Carl,

Thanks for clearly expressing your concerns about the process.

The situation is not really so grim. Things turn on this key
sentence: "Now since the SB rules in my understanding (please correct
me if I am wrong) are such that if the text remains unchanged from
one recirc to another it freezes and comments on that text can be
ruled out of scope as a procedural issue."

In fact, this statement is incorrect, and I am happy to correct you.

A recirculation is, in essence, a review of the comment resolutions.
That's what is planned for the upcoming "ballot resolution committee
recirc." In the recirc, there are two kinds of comments:

(a) "I object to the resolution of Comment Z because the change it
makes to the draft is a bad one, because..."

(b) "I object to the resolution of Comment Z because the reason for
rejecting the comment is invalid , because..."

Regarding the 427 leftover comments, if one is approved but you don't
like the approved change, then you are encouraged to submit a comment
in the BRC recirc. On the other hand, if a comment is rejected but
you feel that it raised a valid point, you are equally encouraged to
submit a comment. Such a comment would be in scope because you would
be arguing that the reason for rejection was invalid. In fact, the
process that we are using does not provide a reason! Therefore, it is
within scope to object to the resolution of any of the 427 comments
on if either (a) it was accepted and resulted in a change to the
draft, or (b) it was rejected.

[When we do the formal recirc to the Sponsor Ballot Group, we
recirculate rebuttals only to the unsatisfied Disapprove comments.
However, in this process, we are recirculating everything.]

On this basis, I disagree with your advice for people to vote
"accept" on questionable comments just to keep them alive. They will
be alive in either case. However, if the comment is accepted and an
inappropriate change is inserted, it will take a 75% vote to get that
change corrected. I would advise people to vote Reject unless they
are comfortable with the change. If the comment is rejected, it will
remain alive, and someone can propose a better solution for
consideration at Session #35.

Roger