Re: [STDS-802-16] 802.16e sponsor ballot recirculation

Title:
Carl,

Your comment #1 states that 5.2.4.2 "is problematic as it assumes that
a well defined  way of carrying e.g. ROHC over  Ethernet is widely
known. This is however not the case and leaves the CS SDU format
undefined.

IETF is investigating the issue of ROHCoE but no RFCs are available.
Also the 802.16 draft does not define this."

Please note the following:

1. 802.16e/D10 clearly specifies the encapsulation for "ROHC-ed IP
packets over raw .16" as well as "ROHC-ed IP packets over ethernet
CS":  there are 2 new Convergence Sublayer types, and there are
classifiers to recognize the embedded ROHC context Ids.

So classifiers at the transmitting CS can identify the compressed
packets (via the CS type) and map the SDUs to the appropriate service
flows.

The receiving CS then forwards the SDU up to the ROHC decompressor.

2. You seem to have in mind an internet draft for ROHC over 802
networks ( http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bormann-rohc-over-802-01.txt
)

This internet-draft suggests a different encapsulation using LLC/SNAP,
which is actually quite similar to the 802.16e solution but is
suitable for a link layer such as 802.11 that does not have the
equivalent of a CS.

The internet-draft also discusses ROHC parameter negotiation.  802.16e
sets its ROHC parameters (ie. ROHC profile, Context Id length etc.)
via either profiles or out-of-band mechanisms.  Negotiation is nice,
but not fundamental.

Other issues discussed in the draft include bridging and frame-padding
-  which do not apply to 802.16.

Note also that this issue more naturally belongs to the link layer
standardization (see section 2.3 of the draft "Who should
standardize?").

3. So the 802.16 text as it stands appears adequate, and I would
suggest withdrawing this comment.

Best Regards,

- Jeff