Re: [STDS-802-16] [MMR-AH-UM] Announcing 6/1/06 Meeting of Multihop Relay Usage Model Ad Hoc Group

Yong,

I agree with you that the figure on page 8 needs to be clarified and/or edited to explicitly show what routes (communication paths) are possible and which are not. It is my opinion that MS to MS communication (even through an RS or two) is out of scope.

Jerry

From: Yong Sun [mailto:Sun@toshiba-trel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:33 AM
To: STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Cc: Sydir, Jerry; Dharma Basgeet; Paul Strauch; Yong Sun
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-16] [MMR-AH-UM] Announcing 6/1/06 Meeting of Multihop Relay Usage Model Ad Hoc Group

Dear Jerry and All,

According to the definition of Mesh (pp32, 802.16-2004):

   “The main difference between the PMP and optional Mesh modes is that in the PMP mode, traffic only occurs between the BS and SSs, while in the Mesh mode traffic can be routed through other SSs and can occur directly between SSs”.

It clearly states the two key differences in Mesh:

1)       traffic can be routed through other SSs

2)       traffic can occur directly between SSs

Consequently, it will still cause confusion on the second figure of page-8. If the MMR-BS treats RSs as its SSs/MSs as defined previously, the traffic is obviously routed through other SSs unless The MMR-BS treats only one RS as its SS/MS and others are not its SSs/MSs. At least, it needs to make clear statement and the figures should be modified according to the context (also, I suggested to make figures simpler and more illustratable).

This will also affect the definition of peer-to-peer. I didn’t catch up the point to define peer-to-peer as communication between two MSs without going through BS (Peng-Yong Kong’s comments). If it is purely the communication between two MSs (Mesh style as defined above), it is out of the scope of 802.16j (say it should be there if it’s supported by 802.16-2004/802.16e-2005). However, if the peer-to-peer is through multi-hop, this makes the scenario quite complicated: since MSs can directly communicate each other, I am wondering if the multi-hop is through MSs or RSs. If it is through MSs, it is still out of the scope of 16j since we are not defining relaying by MSs. If it is through RSs, it may not be peer-to-peer anymore, since MSs treat RSs as BSs as already defined in the project. Also at least, it needs to be clarified very carefully.

Best regards,

Yong

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController.