Re: [STDS-802-16] [MMR-AH-UM] Announcing 6/1/06 Meeting of MultihopRelay Usage Model Ad Hoc Group

802.16k is a bridging conformance amendment to 802.1D. It is just putting
conformance language specifying how 802.16 adheres to the 802.1D bridging
standard. As such, it defines conformance at the Convergence Sublayer of the
MAC.

It should be possible for a BS to bridge the flow between two MS on the same
access network provided there is a discovered path between them (discovery
and spanning tree). May be somewhat constrained by network design (i.e. if
L2 packets are tunneled from the BS to another network entity like a
gateway, for data path processing, then the gateway would have to be the
host for bridging, not the BS). Note that this requires classification of
the flows in the Convergence Sublayer. Even for two MS serviced by the same
BS, communication will have to process through the Convergence Sublayer and
out of the CS-SAP so that they can be appropriately attributed to a L2
bridge or L3 address.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber
Chief Scientist