Re: [STDS-802-16] Power variation due to burst boosting.

No longer correct.  When the Diffserv working group in IETF formed, they
looked at the question in some depth.  Up to this point, the TOS byte
existed in the IPv4 header but was never used and never defined.  The DS
group quickly figured out that 2**8 was a non-feasible answer and in
reality, only about 4 categories makes any sense.  The reason is found
in the way routers handle priorities: each DSCP requires the router to
set up a queue for it and sort datagrams into that queue.  At about four
queues, the CPU requirements for sorting head up an exponential scale
and cost more than any benefits to be gained.  The experimentation
showed that non-priv traffic did indeed get poorer treatment (that's the
stuff in the lowest priority queue).  But the priv traffic also
suffered!

So when the TOS field was renamed 'DS byte', only a handful (4 sticks in
my mind) of DSCPs were defined.