[STDS-802-16] IEEE 802.16 Project Planning Committee

At Session #44, I discussed my view of the WG's need to develop and
track plans for future projects.

I would like to announce the initiation of a Project Planning
Committee. Brian Kiernan is the Chair, and Panyuh Joo is the Vice Chair.

This committee is responsible to identify, develop WG agreement on,
and maintain a plan for the development of future standards projects.
They should identify the projects in a general way and propose the
time frames. On a continuing basis, I would like this group to begin
tracking the development status and predicted timelines of our
existing projects as well.

Once the Committee has identified the needs for future projects, it
can propose appropriate actions (such as recommendations for Study
Groups or PARs).

I would like the Committee to consider, among other issues, the
following:

(1) The possibility of a PAR to address IMT-Advanced, as noted in:
	http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-06_020.pdf

(2) Planning for a revision of IEEE Std 802.16, per the IEEE-SA
Standards Board Operations Manual:
"Up to three amendments can be approved before the standard shall be
revised, unless the base standard has been approved or reaffirmed
within the past three years. In the latter case, multiple amendments
may be added until the base standard is three years old or three
years have elapsed since the most recent reaffirmation of the
standard. After the three-year period, RevCom shall defer
consideration of additional amendments or corrigenda until a revision
or a two-year extension request is approved by the IEEE-SA Standards
Board. The standard shall not be reaffirmed if three or more
amendments to the base standard exist."

Note that IEEE Std 802.16 was approved on 24 June 2004.

I have scheduled the Committee for several meetings during Session #45.

Roger