[STDS-802-16] IEEE 802.16m Draft Requirements have been uploaded

All:

The 16m requirements drafting group has completed its work consolidating the numerous input contributions received on 23 Feb 2007.  We have created two documents.  The first is the draft requirements document and what we consider to be our official output.  The draft requirements have been uploaded as contribution IEEE C802.16m-07/076.  The second is a consolidated version capturing all unedited inputs in one document for informational purposes only.  This second information version has been uploaded as IEEE C802.16m-07/058.

As stated, IEEE IEEE C802.16m-07/076 is considered by the drafting group to be its official output.  The drafting group did its best to create consensus draft from the text we found in the various contributions.  In some cases, we had multiple contributions capturing similar but conflicting thoughts.  In these cases the drafting group created an editor’s text proposal, as a baseline, for these areas.  The editor’s text proposal attempted to capture the requirements that we believe were easily agreeable to all contributors.  Where the contributions conflicted or introduced unique requirements, the editor’s text proposal included the conflicting positions as bracketed text without necessarily copying the source text verbatim.  We were extra careful when we were capturing numerical requirements.  We strove not to omit any numerical position.  However, we did try to present the various numerical requirements in common units.  In several cases, we tried to consolidate the input into common tables capturing all positions.  In addition, we avoided any superfluous text that did not communicate a requirement.

IEEE C802.16m-07/076 has been both color-coded and encoded using bracketed text.  The color-coding is used to identify input from the various contributions.  At the top of each major section you will find a table assigning a color to particular contribution. Colors have been reused from one major section to another.  We attempted to give like authors the same color throughout the document; however, this was not possible in all cases.   All colored-coded text is sourced from the contributions with only minor edits.  Black text represents editor’s proposed text.   In addition to the color coding, the drafting group has marked some text with brackets and left other text unbracketed.  Text that is unbracketed represents text that the drafting group felt acceptable to all in the working group.  Conversely, the bracketed represents text that the drafting group did not see as universally supported.

The drafting group recommends that the working group accept all unbracketed text.  The drafting group further suggests that the working group review all the remaining bracketed text and then make decision as to whether to accept it, accept it with modification or simply reject it.

In Section 1-8, the drafting group did its best to be inclusive and follow the editing guidelines stated above.  In Section 9, we were short on time and accepted a more ambitious editorial style.  As a result, we have bracketed all of Section 9.0 and leave it for the working group’s review.

IEEE C802.16m-07/058 is provided to the working group as a courtesy of the drafting group.  The document blindly combines all the contributions responding to the call for requirements for P802.16m-Advanced Air Interface of 29 Jan 2007.  As with IEEE C802.16m-07/076, the contributor’s text is color coded by section. A key is provided at the top of each major section. IEEE 802.16 working group members may use this document as a reference when reviewing the official output of the drafting group IEEE C802.16m-07/076.

Best Regards,

Mark Cudak

On behalf of 802.16m Requirements Drafting Group