[STDS-802-16] Call for Contributions: IEEE 802.16 GRIDMAN Study Group

IEEE 802.16's GRIDMAN Study Group has issued a Call for Contributions. See:

IEEE 802.16gman-09/0001

On 2009/12/02, at 02:59 PM, Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA) wrote:

GRIDMAN Participants,

The reflector has been up and running a few days, and so far we have about 20 participants.  If you know people who are interested, please make sure they are aware of this reflector.

I’ve been asked what plans I have for the group.  Right now, I plan to execute against our charter which according to 09/0069r3 is:

       Motion: To create a study group to study the synergies among metropolitan area network technologies aimed at Smart Grid, Public Safety, Avionics, Airport Surface Communication and Surveillance applications, chartered with a goal to draft and submit a PAR to the 802.16 WG by the end of Session #65.

I plan that most of the work to accomplish this will be during the 802.16 interim in January.  I note that the NRR ad hoc did create a draft a PAR and 5C which can be found in 09/0068.  I suggest that this should be our baseline to work from, but that people should propose amendments and alternatives to this PAR, and provide background information they think is useful.  Accordingly, this is a call for contribution for that purpose.  I will reissue this call for contributions weekly over the next couple of weeks to make sure new participants are aware of it.

My intent is that at the end of Interim session, we have a vote on recommending a PAR and 5C to the WG.  But this is contingent upon the inputs the SG receives, and whether it appear more work is required before the March meeting.  If desired, we can put together some teleconferences between the January and March meetings.

I am of course open to comment and suggestion regarding this plan.  I am also open to doing additional ad hoc activity prior to the January meeting if people feel it is necessary.  However I like to provide sufficient formal notice before conducting a formal Study Group activity.  So I plan to keep any activities prior to the January meeting as ad hoc since there really isn’t sufficient notice.  If you would like to propose additional activities, please post your proposals to the reflector so that they can be discussed.

Best Regards,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Chair, IEEE 802.16 GRIDMAN SG
Engineering Fellow
BAE Systems -  Electronics, Intelligence, & Support (EI&S)
Office: +1 973.633.6344
Cell: +1 973.229.9520

email: matthew.sherman@baesystems.com