[STDS-802-16] 802.16 technology characterization for Smart Grid

Dear All,

I wish to share with you a concern related to the “802.16 characterization data” that is being prepared for NIST. In today’s WG opening plenary, GRIDMAN SG was tasked with reviewing the numbers provided in the spreadsheet and to see whether the numbers make sense.

However, I am concerned about the issue itself. In my understanding

(a)    We have no idea who constructed the spreadsheet and on what basis the specific fields, for which numbers are requested, were chosen

(b)   We have no idea why these numbers are being collected and exactly how the gathered data will be used.

(c)    We have no idea what good can come if we supply these numbers,  though many of us do have concerns that these numbers can be used in ways that we may not be able to anticipate right now.

So, here’s the question:

What if we do not supply these numbers and instead ask for further details of the intention underlying such a request so that we form a proper understanding regarding the care and precision that needs to be exercised when supplying the requested characterization data?

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Rakesh Taori,
Principal Engineer
Telecommunication R&D Center