[STDS-802-16] Seminar on ASN.1 to IEEE 802

Hi,

OSS Nokalva is offering to provide a free seminar on ASN.1 to all interested IEEE 802 meeting attendees in conjunction with the upcoming meeting in San Diego.  The ASN.1 seminar will run from 9:00am - 7:00pm and will be focussed on the subset of ASN.1 and PER that will be used in IEEE 802.16m.  The seminar will take place either on the Sunday before the first day of the meeting or on the Friday after the last day of the meeting, depending the preference shown for either.

The seminar is scheduled for July 11, the Sunday before the first day of the meeting. It is contingent on confirming the attendance of a sufficient number of participants.  Please let me know if you are interested in attending this seminar.  I'll confirm the date once I can judge the interest level.

If you cannot attend on July 11, please let me know if you would attend if the seminar were offered on either Friday, July 16 in San Diego, or on Sunday, August 15, the day before the start of the IEEE 802.16 TGm meeting in Calgary.

Here is a description of the content of the seminar:

===================

This 1-day seminar will focus on the subset of ASN.1 and PER that is to be used in IEEE 802.16m.  It will include hands-on ASN.1 and PER encoding exercises which will greatly help in making the seminar material concrete.

The material to be covered will include the following:

    Overview
    Modules
    Type Notation
    Subtype Constraints
    Value Notation
    Packed Encoding Rules, Unaligned
    Extensibility
    Backward compatible changes

The ASN-1Step tool will be used for the seminar exercises.  This tool will allow the seminar attendees to easily create ASN.1 types, check the syntax for correctness, use a graphical message editor to create and view message instances, and examine at the bit level how messages are constructed in PER. The attendees will leave the seminar knowing how to define messages in ASN.1, and will understand the effect of the various syntax choices on the size of PER-encoded messages.  They will also leave with clear knowledge of how to safely change or extend ASN.1 types, and what changes to never make because they result in backward compatibility problems.

Please reply directly to me if you are interested in attending this seminar.

Bancroft Scott
baos@oss.com