Re: [STDS-802-16] Call for Reply Comments on IEEE 802.16m Sponsor Ballot second recirculation ballot

Junghoon,

Certainly Members should give every consideration and attention to comments marked as ‘Part of Disapprove Vote’ from Disapprove voters in the commentary database. There are a mere 22 comments marked as ‘Part of Disapprove Vote’, from only seven Disapprove voters. And the majority of those comments are from only two or three voters. I have little doubt that Members will give careful attention to these comments.

And, yes, each of the 22 comments (18 non-editorial, 4 editorial) marked as ‘Part of Disapprove Vote’ should be scrutinized by the Members to assure that the comments meet the recirculation scope requirements. 16m leadership will also be looking at scope for these comments. Some of the comments do not provide direction as to the rationale for their scope in the recirculation. I would draw Members’ attention to comments D012, D013, D014, D020, D024, D025, D026, D027, D029, D030. It may be that these comments meet one of the three criteria to be in scope of the recirculation, but they don’t specifically identify which criteria so they deserve evaluation.

Remember that even if a ‘Part of Disapprove Vote’ comment is determined to be out-of-scope of the recirculation the group may still choose to deal with the comment rather than just resolving it as out-of-scope of the recirculation; the group is not compelled to resolve the comment as out-of-scope. This can be useful when a comment may be out-of-scope but the group agrees on the need for the comment remedy anyway.

Still, in our haste to address these important comments I would hate to see any lack of attention to the other 164 non-Editorial comments from Approve voters in the ballot. Almost certainly many of these comments are sincere attempts to make last-minute repair to problem areas in D10. We would do well to provide review and comment to get the best possible remedies prepared prior to the meeting comment resolution.

Not to mention the need to align ASN.1 code to the text, including proper ASN.1 code for proposed Control Msg Format changes.

Members have two weeks to prepare their Reply Comments; ample time to do a thorough job.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber
Chief Scientist
Wireless Advanced Research and Standards
Huawei Technologies Co., LTD.

IEEE 802.16 TGm Vice Chair